Thursday, March 17, 2016

St. Patrick's Day

The top 'o the mornin' to ya!

It's one of my favorite days of the year!

Yes, I love Christmas.( celebrating Jesus' birth)
Yes, I love Easter.( celebrating His resurrection )
Yes, I love Thanksgiving...( giving thanks to God for the freedom I have in His love and in this country)

But, today is so special to me.Because...

Today, we celebrate a man who followed God's calling on his life.
He went back to the people that had kidnapped him and made him a slave, and he told them about Jesus. The faith. The guts. The TRUST he lived out , that God knew what He was doing. It blows my mind every time I think about it! 
 
So, for the sake of time , I found a brief history on Pinterest.
But, if you have the time you should read what Wikipedia has to say about good ol' Paddy.

The second reason we love celebrating St. Patrick's Day in the Hooah household is because of our roots.

I know, I know.
I'm not FROM Ireland, wasn't born there, never been there, to my knowledge I don't have any close relatives living in Ireland. 
The same story with my husband.
We are Americans .
But, Americans came from immigrants. And, in this household we celebrate where we came from. Now, to also be fair, bloodline speaking my husband and are a bunch of European mutts. Our distant generations back did not ALL come from specifically Ireland.
But , a good portion of them did. And it is , the legacy of our great + many generations back grandparents, and aunts and uncles that we celebrate.
We celebrate them coming to this country, contributing to the building of it, and handing down great pride in who they were.
We like to talk about the luck of the Irish today. But, did you know that many of the Irish that came to this country were treated little better than dirt? Businesses would hang signs that refused service to the Irish. The majority of the "dirty jobs" of this country fell to the Irish.

Yet, they shouldered their burdens and lowly lot with the same grit , faith, and determination as St. Patrick himself.

In the Hooah house, we also celebrate the anniversary of the SoldierMan's enlistment.


We celebrate the carrying on of faith, and grit, willingness to be a part of something bigger than ourselves for the betterment of future generations.


So today, midst the leprechaun hats, and green colored everything, remember a man that followed his faith in God. A people whose fighting spirit and hardiness is cause for celebration.

Today , in our house there is a corned beef brisket simmering in my crockpot.
Plenty of great Celtic music will be streaming.
I'll be making a construction paper shamrock with my son, and teaching him about the Holy Trinity. I'll kiss my SoldierMan one more time, and thank him for everything he is.

And , I'll be trying out a great traditional Irish desert I found on Pinterest.
I hope you have a gorgeous day celebrating! Don't forget to follow me on Instagram ( thislittlecowgirl ).

Much love, Mrs.Hooah


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there, glad you are stopping by to comment.
just a few things to remember.

please no profanity or rude comments

please keep your comment to the topic of the post

please enjoy getting to know us and chatting it up with us.